POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mipmapping : Re: mipmapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping
From: tahoma
Date: 11 May 2005 18:33:48
Message: <opsqmualixx5erxw@leningrad>
On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:26:33 +0200, Tim Nikias

<JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:

>> I think he means using mipmaps, and then taking the two nearest mipma
ps
> for
>> the scale level of the current sample, bilinearly interpolating to ge

>> the
>> color for each of them at the sample position, and then linearly
>> interpolating between the two results to get the final value.
>>
>> In my experience, this approach generates a little too much blurring,

>> and
>> when I program with OpenGL, I often wish that I could have nice
>> anti-aliasing instead.
>
> As I just recently learned in a course at my university, the way you
> describe it is the standard hardcoded way on older graphics cards. The

> new
> ones (ATI Radeon 9800 and upwards, and I think the NVidias FX and

> upwards)
> come with programmable Vertex and Fragment Shaders, and with fragment
> shaders you can script some more elaborate way of interpolation. The g
uy
> showed us some examples of the usual mipmap-fading to avoid jumps betw
een
> the different mipmaps, and one which interpolates amongst several
> mipmap-levels, depending on the angle of the pixel (and thus the area
it
> would cover on the image-map). It looked real crisp.

That way i was hoping to go with povray as well. To program the texture
(or
pigment) stage to support different blending mode for example. But it is

another topic :) It's possible, but not like my mind is winded. So i hav
to rethink some stuff.

> However, we're drifting away from the topic at hand, being of help to

> tahoma
> to get his images look good. :-)

I hope to get them look good when trying different antialiasing settings
.
More i cannot gain from this thread (mipmapping is not supported and
maybe useless). Adjusting materials is on the one hand an artist task an
on the other hand one of the translater from OpenGL materials to povray
one's.

But what i also get is, offline rendering (raytracing) does not really
differ from realtime rendering that much. The concepts are almost the sa
me,
the community is a little different :)

Thanks for you help