POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mipmapping : Re: mipmapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping
From: tahoma
Date: 11 May 2005 18:52:41
Message: <opsqmu53xxx5erxw@leningrad>
> In  the end i doubt this will lead to better results in shorter time

> (but i will be happy to be proven wrong).

That's why mipmapping or trilinear filtering is common practice in realt
ime
graphics. Beside the fact that is decreases cache misses for gpu's to fe
tch
texels it gives better results without FSAA.
Nevertheless you can do fancy things with different textures. If you don
't

use
just downsampled textures you can achieve some nice texturing effect

depended
on the fragment distance. I don't know if there exists a pattern in povr
ay

for
this.