POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 3 Sep 2004 05:42:36
Message: <opsdqvw91mcs6ysw@frogeater.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:25:06 +0200, Vincent LE CHEVALIER
<lec### [at] ctiecpfr> wrote:
> Is it possible to have HDR output with 3.6 ? I couldn't find anything
> about this in the doc...
> Because given HDR output, the problem could be solved by post-processing
> it, for example simulating somehow the bleeding of bright area, etc...
> This is not necessarily the task of the raytracer, and could be
> impplemented in a separate program.
>
> As I understand it, the whole problem here seems to be that some
> consider antialiasing as a kind of post-process aimed at removing
> jaggies in the image, while other think of it as an integration method
> that has no sense on clipped values...

I'm currently working on a patch to have HDRI input/output in POV-Ray
using OpenEXR and possibly also Radiance HDR. The actual input/output
routines are done, but getting unclipped output is more hassle than it's
worth in 3.6.0, and the 3.6.1 source for Windows has not yet been
released. I'm not changing any Windows-specific files though, so I might
try merging the Linux source.
I am also considering some kind of support for exposure control, but I
don't have anything solid in that area yet.

--
FE