POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can't work out the right scale/translate : Re: Can't work out the right scale/translate Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't work out the right scale/translate
From: Phil Cook
Date: 7 Jul 2004 04:50:25
Message: <opsaret2miefp2ch@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:35:57 -0500, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> did spake, saying:

> In article <40e41f6c$1@news.povray.org>, Shay <sah### [at] simcopartscom>
> wrote:
>
>> > OOC O wise Shay do you happen to know how to get the image_map image
>> > the brightness of the original image even {ambient 1} seems to add a
>> > grey  cast, not really a problem adds to the 'magic'.
>> >

>> global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }
>
> Won't that only work if Display_Gamma is 1? You want to turn gamma
> correction off. Just not specifying assumed_gamma should work.

Well commenting out assumed_gamma produces a darker image on the 'gate'
with no Display_Gamma set, so default gamma correction of 2.2 is in use.
Just to check this I changed the two planes in "Magic Gate2.pov" to the
same colour as that in "Magic Gate1.pov" and ran it both ways, without
assumed_gamma produces a noticeable difference.
I've posted a tiny file in p.b.images to show the differences.

> Anyway, in addition to setting ambient to 1, you should set diffuse to
> 0, so light from scene illumination won't wash out the image.

diffuse 0 doesn't seem to make a difference but of course might once I
start changing the landscape.

The only thing I did notice was dark dots appearing on the gate then I
realised I was missing a cutaway_textures, adding it removes them as you
might expect.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.