POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : blummin Media headache again! : Re: blummin Media headache again! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blummin Media headache again!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Jul 2004 11:14:25
Message: <opsagsjia4efp2ch@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:56:17 -0500, Mike Raiford
<mra### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Phil Cook wrote:
>>>  AFAIK ambient, like emission,
>>> doesn't  produce light in this way even using radiosity.
>
> Erm.. Ambient does produce light, but the light does no react with the
> media. Media affects radiosity, radiosity does not affect media.

*in this way* :)

3.7.5: "POV-Ray uses the ambient keyword to determine how much light
coming from the ambient light source is reflected by a surface" and

6.7.3.1 "Computing real ambient light would take far too much time, so we
simulate ambient light by adding a small amount of white light to each
texture whether or not a light is actually shining on that texture."

So if you think about it what is the location of the ambient light source
and how do you trace a ray along it it through the media to sample along?

Gods I've been fiddling with media to long :P

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.