POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a simple surface : Re: a simple surface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a simple surface
From: Phil Cook
Date: 28 Jun 2004 10:19:46
Message: <opsaa52yuaefp2ch@news.povray.org>

<fab### [at] icunicampbr> did spake, saying:

> Thanks for everbody!
> i have some things to say:
> The first solution works very fine, but it generates a "punched" surface
> (not so continuos). And, if possible, i wanna know why, and how to fix
> it.
>
> Let me explain a bit more about my project...
>
> This surface will be used for presentations, and (if I make my program
> and
> pov talk) for user interface. It is a 3d representation of a fuzzy
> probabilistical distribution, for color based object seaching, a piece of
> my undergraduate reseach. I have used 3dmax, but i cannot use it anymore
> for legal questions( :-[ ). So I am trying to integrate pov with my
> program...
>
> I am using the Open Computer Vision library to access the videos and
> images,
> and I'll test the height_field solution right now, checking the ppm file
> saved by opencv...

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'punched' surface. The only thing I can
think of is with my first coding which used boxes if you had three boxes
height 0,3 and 0 it would be like standing next to a skyscraper. The
second code using the bicubic patch should solve that by smoothing the
points together, did you try that one though you have to watch it uses all
the data.

For proper smoothness the height_field solution from Mike is probably
going to be the best option for you.

> I'm really impressed with everbody here, it a little dificult to find a
> community which helps troubled people (me!).

I've been constantly impressed by everyone here ever since I started using
povray.

> Again, if I made any mistake with my english, i am sorry.

I wouldn't really have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it, you write and
construct better English than some native speakers.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.