POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Newbies Animating sky_sphere colour_map linked to SunPos : Re: Newbies Animating sky_sphere colour_map linked to SunPos Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbies Animating sky_sphere colour_map linked to SunPos
From: Phil Cook
Date: 7 Oct 2003 11:28:10
Message: <oprwoil5fueybzwd@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:12:43 -0500, Hughes, B. <omn### [at] charternet>
wrote:

> Wish I had my camera with me when I went out to the store the day after I
> last posted a reply here. The sunset was one of those beauts with plenty
> of
> color. A very large blanket of clouds covered most of the sky and was
> only a
> faint lavender color before the sun dropped below it, the air itself
> looking
> lit by yellow sunlight, then it changed to purple with brilliant
> orange-reds
> on the parts underneath. What made it interesting to me more than the
> colors
> was how that single-layered cloud looked upside-down. It was as if it
> were
> bubbling downward, with an appearance like cumulonimbus cloudtops jutting
> out below and into the sunshine out of the ever-darker purple. Whole
> event
> lasted maybe 10 minutes.

I'm in the UK so weather here is completely predictable in being
completely unpredicatable:)

> Anyway, yeah, if you could get clouds together with the background sky
> it'd
> be a vast improvement.

As I said clouds and sun are the next step <sigh>

> In your pov script, which I tried again, I pointed the camera higher up
> rather than straight ahead. Your sunrise/sunset times (4:30 and 19:30)
> has a
> black sky overhead, fairly sharp boundry too. IRL it never does that,
> unless
> perhaps while in a high altitude airplane.

Hmm I could switch it for a dark blue

> Something to consider might be azimuth of sun position so that one side
> of
> the sky has brighter colors than the opposite side. Just an additional
> semi-transparent pigment layer overlaid the main sky color pigment could
> be
> used for that. Looks like that could be added at the final skysphere
> using
> the Az variable which Sunpos() macro returns.
>
> Bob H.

Yeah something I realised this morning when watching the sunrise,
colour_map runs right round the sphere so it's red or yellow opposite the
sun as well which is not IRL. I was considering using the Az variable to
tie into the colour_map settings or just tilt the map, but your way would
be better.

What do you think, using -Al and Az as direction with a red, orange,
yellow type texture, as the sun rises the texture sinks? That may allow
the sky_sphere to just shift from blues to blacks.

Hmmm I'll give it a try when I've some time, completely rewriting a
company website at the moment brains gone numb.

--
Phil