POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : from quad to triangle ...? : Re: from quad to triangle ...? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: from quad to triangle ...?
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 25 May 2004 20:01:44
Message: <opr8kydfmfcs6ysw@news.povray.org>
On 25 May 2004 19:18:57 -0400, ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Is there a consensus on how to specify quads>triangles in the CG world?

Usually, triangles/quads are specified with their vertices in
counter-clockwise order.

> Is there a way to figure out from a list of face_indices and vertices in
> what way the faces are written?

In general, no.
If it's a closed mesh, I suppose you could examine one of the faces to see
which order makes the normal point outward. You could do the same for an
open mesh if you know which way at least one of the normals is supposed to
point.

> For POV-Ray it doesn't seem to matter how the faces are arranged, as I
> noticed when writing the mesh macros.

It matters if you specify an interior texture.

--
FE