POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : I Need Help With Media : Re: I Need Help With Media (small sample image) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I Need Help With Media (small sample image)
From: Phil Cook
Date: 24 May 2004 05:21:28
Message: <opr8hyvpvop4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:22:02 EDT, Danny <danzaetz> wrote:

> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:27:24 EDT, Danny <danzaetz> wrote:
<snip>

> Is this cylinder light_source supposed to produce a visible light beam
> that
> can be seen outside where it's pointing at, or is it more like a laser
> pen
> that produces a dot on the surface it's aimed at?

It constrains the light to within a cylinder so it won't illuminate
anything that is not within it's path just like a laser pen,  so if you
stick a media through it, it will show the path in the same way shining a
laser pen through smoke will. All of the light_sources act in this way,
they won't light up anything not in their path, the default point_light of
course shines light in all directions. Take a look at spotlite.pov in the
scenes/lights directory in fact have a look at most of that directory if
you want to know more about lights

> I tried it along with
> scattering and it did nothing to get rid of the images.
> Also, in order to round off the ends of my laser beam, I put some
> half-spheres on either end, both filled with the same media, except the
> density is spherical instead of cylindrical.  For some reason, this
> created
> tons more problems.  When you look at the half-spheres perpendicularly,
> there's no problem, but when you look at them obliquely, you get very odd
> results, such as grey rings, spots, etc.  Here's what I'm doing:

<snip>

I think Alain has answered this one.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.