POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Balls on a grid : Re: Balls on a grid Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Balls on a grid
From: Phil Cook
Date: 5 Jun 2004 14:29:32
Message: <opr84wvpzke4dfwg@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:02:03 -0500, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> did spake, saying:

> In article <40c0b32d@news.povray.org>,
>  Marvin T <pov### [at] maltasoftcom> wrote:
>
>> I've typically added text to simple shapes a different way - I make a
>> union of the base object and an intersection of the "text" with a
>> similar shape that is very slightly larger.  That way the text is above
>> the sphere/cylinder, but imperceptibly so.  Sort of what would happen if
>> the text was a layer of paint on the object surface.
>
> This way will be slower and consume more memory than simply using the
> object pattern. It is also more likely to cause artifacts from precision
> problems, and is very difficult with more complex shapes, though it is
> easy with spheres.

Out of curiosity is there an easily explainable :) reason why you can't
layer multiple object patterns? The obvious answer to this otherwise would
have been to create the differenced cylinders texture and layer the text
texture on top.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.