POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Highlight Effect : Re: Highlight Effect Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlight Effect
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Mar 2004 05:26:49
Message: <opr5gsqebep4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:59:28 -0600, Hughes, B. <omn### [at] charternet>
wrote:

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:09:38 -0600, How Camp <kro### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>>
>> > I spoke too soon.  My understanding from reading the docs (6.5.8, as
>> > Bob pointed out) is that a light_group can be formed with a
>> > light_source and another object, and the indicated light_source will
>> > only affect the object(s) in the light_group.
>>
>> Remove the finish {ambient 1}  from the LightBox, light_group constrains
>> the light_source but the box is producing it's own 'light' from the
>> ambient which is not stopped and is being reflected in the text
>
> Yep, unfortunately light groups are for lights and do not do anything
> else
> to the objects in the scene except to shine for what's included in their
> respective groups.
>
> CSG is possble, so there's some chance of fixing it up using that. At
> least,
> I've found that bounding the looks_like object to the text seems to be
> one
> possibility. Only problem with it is the illumination is, of course, then
> from that same text. You can face the camera the other way and see that
> using the changed script below.

<snip code>

Shame there's no such thing as an object_group equivalent though I suspect
that would be computationally hideous. Quite funky though for effects like
the sphere in "Sphere" reflects the room but not the people.

-
Phil

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.