POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Show Button with a memory : Re: Show Button with a memory Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Show Button with a memory
From: Phil Cook
Date: 12 Mar 2004 10:01:08
Message: <opr4q729qop4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:00:02 -0500, Francois Labreque
<fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Program ended abnormally on 12/03/2004 08:00, Due to a catastrophic Phil
> Cook error:
>
>> I was wary of posting this to p.programming as although it is to do
>> with POV-Ray the program it's something that may already exist that
>> I've missed.
>
> p.programming is for discussing the actual source code.  Feature
> requests should go here.

Good I was worried I'd offend someone.

>> I have two files open File1 and File2 I render them both in that order,
>> I switch to edit File1 and hit show and of course the File2 image
>> appears, is there any way that POV-Ray can retain a memory that File1
>> has been rendered and display *that* image as opposed to the last one.
>> I wouldn't expect it to last beyond the session, but a temporary memory
>> would be nice IMHO instead of having to open an external imager to see
>> the image or re-render.
>>
>> I'm well prepared to be slapped down on this if the implementation is
>> horrendous or if it's some switch I've missed, but it was just a
>> thought.
>>

> No it isn't a switch you've missed.  The "show" button will only display
> the last image you've rendered.

Oh goodie, not me being dense as usual then,

> I agree with you that having a more versatile "show" button (or having a
> menu item that allowed to display recently rendered images) could be a
> nice addition that wouldn't be too hard too implement,

It's just something I thought of as I wanted to show someone a render I'd
just done, but had one in-between which meant opening up an extra program.

> but having an image viewing app loaded on your pc alongside POV isn't
> too hard for the user to implement, either. ;-)

Umm, but that's a little similiar to the argument being held over
JPEG2000, why should someone have to open an external viewer when the
program you're using supports inline viewing. IMO it's not a difficulty
just err... inelegant :)

--
Phil

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.