POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strangeness with Parallel Lights : Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights
From: Phil Cook
Date: 11 Feb 2004 11:47:06
Message: <opr27syqj0p4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:18:51 -0600, Hughes, B. <omn### [at] charternet>
wrote:

> You guys are starting to confuse me... Only joking.
>
> I had forgotten how parallel lights treat fading so I gave it a look in a
> few renders by building on Phil's example scene (see image). Maybe this
> will
> help a few people understand parallel lights a little better.
>
> http://www.3digitaleyes.com/parallel_light.jpg
>
> Maybe this picture is worth a thousand words-- or at least a paragraph.
> :-)
>
> I know the documention tells how fading (attenuation) is same as for
> ordinary point lights but I wanted to be sure if that meant for all
> directions and not just the point_at one. I probably knew already but
> couldn't remember. The blue cones are where the light sources are and
> where
> they point. Inside the box is a yellow cone to show that 'parallel'
> direction and shadow; no shadow in opposite direction, as per the
> documentation (unidirectional).

Thanks that's interesting, and I'm sure will come in useful for some
interesting lighting techniques. Out of curiosity as parallel can be used
with any light_source do you know the effects of combining it with area
lights I'm imagining an area light in the XY plane with a 45 degree
point_at would a plane be created for each light?

--
Phil

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.