POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : render2painting : Re: render2painting Server Time
15 May 2024 07:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: render2painting
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 5 Oct 2014 08:00:12
Message: <op.xm9aaj0cufxv4h@xena.home>
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 09:39:36 +0200, Norbert Kern
<nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> "Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:20:42 +0200, Norbert Kern
>>
>> <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>>
>> > we know several approaches to let renders look like a painting.
>> > Here I refer to recent postings of Nekar Xenos (e.g.
>> > http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3DA9C724.72F7C
>> EC5### [at] mailcom%3E/?mtop=4).
>>

>> Awesome!
>>
>> --
>>
>> -Nekar Xenos-
>
> Hi Nekar,
>
> I've to ask - how did you do your "jazz" images?
>
> I tried dozens of objects - in the end simple boxes were the best.
> I think, you blobbed together some points twith the same or nearly the
> same
> color.
> But all I tried to resemble your effect wasn't interesting at all.
>
> Could you please publish some code about your approach?
>

> Norbert

What I did was to render the normal scene with high ambient and diffuse to
get a flat looking image with only the colours and no shadows.

I then mapped this image to a flat box in the same scene, aligned to the
camera similar to a picture plane  (see
http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Richter-NotebooksOfLeonardo/section-2/item-83.html).
It had to be aligned exactly so that the image on the picture-plane
correlates to the scene behind it when viewed through the camera. Then I
set the picture-plane box to no-image.

Then I traced at random points through the picture-plane on to the scene.
I had to group the whole scene for this. Using eval_pigment() on the
picture-plane I was able to get the colour information and us it as the
colour for a blob traced onto the corresponding part of the scene.(It
would have been so much easier if eval_pigment() worked with uv mapped
meshes). Each blob was scaled smaller in the direction of the normal of
the object.

In later scenes I traced a drip or a brush action for each blob and added
colour variations as well. In the pursuit of more realistic looking paint
I messed up the ocde somewhere so my spaghetti code is broken at the
moment. I will have to start from scratch in a more orderly fashion.

If you feel like unscrambling my broken code I can post it for you.

At the moment I won't be able to fix my code soon. I have been
commissioned to do a 2m x 1.2m painting of jazz musicians. Normally I
paint on 1.2m x 0.9m canvasses, I had to have the canvas specially made up
because no-one stocks 2m stretched canvasses.

--
-Nekar Xenos-