POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Area light size to simulate sun : Area light size to simulate sun Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Area light size to simulate sun
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 23 Aug 2012 15:27:46
Message: <op.wjidodicufxv4h@xena>
I was trying to figure out how big an area light should be to simulate the
sun when the light is a lot closer than the sun actually is. Looking at a
wall about 3m high I noticed the shadow on the ground blurred about 3cm. I
came to the conclusion that the diameter of my light should be about 1% of
the distance from the object. To test my theory I looked up the diameter
of the sun and the distance from the sun to the earth. Close enough! The
diameter of the sun is 1 391 000 km and the distance from the earth to the
sun is 149,669,180 km. That's 0.929% :)

--
-Nekar Xenos-