POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at the British Comedy Awards. : Re: Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 31 Jan 2011 10:28:10
Message: <op.vp6illwqmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:11:31 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

>>> Otherwise known as "you're getting old". Apparently I share this
>>> affliction. :-(
>>
>> It's a glib answer, but is it true? I honestly don't think so.
>
> I don't have enough data to say with any certainty.
>
> (Also, the only "glib" I know of is the GNOME Foundation utilities
> library...)

See this is why you need the Sony eReader with built-in dictionary (been
slowly reading the "Kindling" thread)

>> and now the BBC is spread over
>> two more channels and two kids ones (discounting the news and
>> parliament);
>> ITV's gained three plus a children's; Four's got at least two more as
>> has
>> Five; plus all the other non-affiliated stuff. There's no extra content
>> so
>> it's just being spread paper-thin over all these new channels.
>
> In other words, instead of having four or five quality channels, we have
> 400 or 500 channels of filler. How sad.

Yup - well 20 channels anyway not counting the ones trying to overtly sell
you something. Discounting Sky (which I hear so many say "I just bought it
for the football/movies and there's nothing else on") and consider the
jump to Freeview from five channels to over twenty. With no increase in
budget how can there not be a hit in quality?

>> I have never, NEVER enjoyed soaps; they make my brain itch; fake
>> purporting to be reality while obviously being fake. It's a level of
>> self-deception I can't follow.
>
> I hate soaps too. And yet, we seem to be drowning in them today.

I can't even argue them as cheap television. I guess it's the continuation
factor; once you've got a subject hooked they'll specifically tune in to
watch and you can charge higher advertising rates.

>>> Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because you can't turn on your TV
>>> any more and watch science or nature programs. They just don't seem to
>>> make 'em any more.
>>
>> Couple of Horizon's on the BBC, the odd Attenborough, but no other than
>> that it's fairly bleak.
>
> Hell, Horizon used to be good stuff. Now it seems to be "hey, look at
> this freak boy born without eyebrows, and watch the incredible reality
> story of how doctors perform ground-breaking surgery to make him normal
> again". To suffice, even Horizon is a reality TV show now.

Couple of decent ones recently. Though sadly they have gone down the route
of re-explaining things every five minutes. Either they expect people to
tune in late or they consider their audience memory-deprived.

>> There's always Dave.
>
> Dave. What are you doing Dave? This is highly irregular...

Dave Ja Vu :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com