POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedure for posting utilities? : Re: Procedure for posting utilities? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedure for posting utilities?
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 30 Dec 2010 00:02:00
Message: <op.voif9j180819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:39:04 -0500, Jim Holsenback
<jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> On 12/30/2010 12:12 AM, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
>> I have made a utility (win 32 and 64, .NET 4.0) which harvests
>> color_maps from input images, and was wondering what the policy for
>> posting utilities might be (other than posting to p.b.u).
>>
>> It has a decent quantity of useful features, and future development will
>> be rather swift, so I won't be posting intermediate "feature" releases
>> and crowding up the server, but I still want to use proper etiquette.
>>
>> Guidance is appreciated...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> your contribution isn't really an object per se
> http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index.php
>
> maybe p.b.u. IS the best fit ... not any larger than a fair sized image
> is it? (1 or 2MB)

Yes, definitely not an object, and it is quite small (25kb gui exe
unzipped).
So far you can:
1) load a image to harvest from (can just harvest directly or use #2 too)
2) load an exclusion image (any colors in it which are in the source image
will not be output)
3) use RGB/BRG/etc..
4) dump a single (povray incompatible) XML color file
5) dump the same data but broken up into 256 length color_maps (in include
file [can make it dump pigment maps and textures too]) until all
non-duplicate colors are exhausted
6) supports RGB/RGBF/RGBT/RGBFT
7) a number of varying color range conditionals
8) a few ways to adjust filter and transmit based on the input data
9) adjust the [0.0 ... part of the color map based on percent of input
image the color makes up
10) multithreaded..I hate apps which lock the UI...grr..

more...

Not bad for an hour of work so far...man I love .NET. ;)

I will add some other stuff before I release it, so maybe in a day or so
(after polishing, proper error handling, etc.. small stuff) it will be
ready.

That 256 limit for color_maps really sucks..it makes certain things (like
#9) not as representatively accurate as they could be..

--
Ian McDonald
Lean Agile .NET 4.0/MVC