POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Very slow texture: any ideas on speeding it up? : Re: Very slow texture: any ideas on speeding it up? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very slow texture: any ideas on speeding it up?
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 17 Dec 2010 19:04:36
Message: <op.vnvuhueh0819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
Well, I have tried disabling all of the normals, as well as turning off
radiosity and anti-aliasing...but to no avail, unfortunately. :(

I guess it is just perhaps all of the transmits and then the shadows cast
by the non transmitting texture portions. I can't think of anything else.
Though it still seems that this texture should not take so god-awfully
long to render. If I can ever get povray to compile with vs2010 ultimate I
will be sure to step through the code and run all kinds of metrics and
performance evaluations as well. Though that is, honestly, a low priority.
I need to finish the other things that I have started first.

I think that my situation and options are as outlined below:
1) I cannot fix the texture render time directly without ruining the
texture or patching pov
2) I can either
	2a)	tessellate the surface and render the mesh
	2b)	implement a mesh based version of metaballs (I have some c# code
which creates mesh metaballs [though..again without patching pov to get
some useful collection types..])

That seems to be it. It is unknown which option would result in lower
total render time, though I would expect parse time to be lower for option
2b.

You know..it might actually be worth coming up with a patch to pov which
would give the user something close to standard collection types such as
follows:
1)	List<T>
2)	Dictionary<T,T>
3)	ArrayList<T>
4)	Tree<T>
5)	Ability to eval and run the same language pov-ray was written in, so
you could mix c++ and SDL (such as overriding or overloading methods used
in the renderer)
6)	MathML eval

But those are tasks for a different day...(perhaps even epoch)

Ian