POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IOR List from CGSociety : Re: IOR List from CGSociety Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IOR List from CGSociety
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 21 Dec 2010 21:55:46
Message: <op.vn3g23m20819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
Ok...I will respond to myself due to the sheer volume of comments. :)

I like what I have seen from the community...especially the more advanced
concepts; however one must have a starting point before going that
far...and this looks like it. I have lusted after many of these values for
a long time...shame it never occurred to me to just Google it before
now... >__<

1)	Where would we get the missing parameters accompanying these IOR values?
	1a)	It seems the povray params for these missing values should be an
f(x); we have some data points already...is there a decent way to produce
the governing function, so we 				could just write a program and dump the
output? Given the pov model exists and is not randomly variable,
determining the function should be possible...though I do not 					claim
to be able to do so, at least without more research than my current
project load would allow.
2)	How do we reach a consensus on the dubious IOR values?
3)	Regarding magic numbers....being a programmer I have an inherent
dislike for such things...however, having a number of reference points
extrinsic to any particular gfx package, 		with which my current known
list of IOR values match up to, lends some credence to at least those
values which are easily confirmed by multiple sources. Margins of error
are a 		fact of life in any business unit, and if a software engineer
should spend the time required to eliminate all of it, I seriously doubt
he would get much programming done. 				Sometimes it is best to take what
you have, make something with it, and correct the errors later. I don't
like it either...but it is the way of life... :|

Ian