POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dettol protects: Fact? : Re: Dettol protects: Fact? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dettol protects: Fact?
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 23 Nov 2010 06:13:00
Message: <op.vmmer5a3mn4jds@phils>
And lo On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:13:07 -0000, Stephen <mca### [at] aoldotcom>
did spake thusly:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17606_7-high-tech-products-their-cheap-ass-ingredients.html
>> NSFW
>
> The ones that get me are shampoos. For the last 10 years I’ve been using
> hand soap and my head hasn’t fallen off yet.

I used to work at a hairdressing training centre. It was quite funny to
listen to how they discussed shampoos etc amongst themselves.

IIRC it goes like this

People used to wash their hair about once a week.
As the shampoo was designed at a strength to clean dirty hair it would
often strip it of it's natural protection. This wasn't a problem as it
would regenerate between washes.
Then people started washing their hair once a day (or more)
This left the hair unprotected.
So the manufacturers introduced conditioner to put back the protection
And made the shampoo weaker.
The ingredients in shampoo are designed to bond with dirt when they do so
they don't foam up
Because people were washing their hair every day shampoo would always foam
because there was no dirt to bond with.
When their hair actually got dirty the shampoo wouldn't foam.
As people had now expected the shampoo to always foam they complained.
The manufacturers added ingredients whose sole purpose was to make it foam.

Gotta love it.

The big tip from them was to never use a combined shampoo/conditioner not
only do they have different consistencies but the former should be rinsed
off quickly and the latter left to settle.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com