POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D : Re: The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 2 Dec 2010 05:25:17
Message: <op.vm20knldmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 07:45:38 -0000, Nekar Xenos
<nek### [at] gmailcom> did spake thusly:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:37:51 +0200, Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
>
>> On 01/12/2010 6:10 PM, Warp wrote:
>>>    And exactly what is wrong about that statement?
>>  > ...
>>
>> So you are saying that the universe is expanding at a speed faster than
>> the speed of light?
>>
> This looks like a misunderstanding to me. Isn't that like saying if 2
> cars are moving away from each other each with a speedo reading of
> 100kph that they are moving at 200kph?

But they are from each other's perspective. If you stood there and watched
them drive away you'd see them both doing 100kph, but why is your
viewpoint more valid than that of either driver's?

A poor analogy for the galaxy movement is to imagine a flag placed either
side of a tectonic rift. With either the plates moving apart or together
can it be really stated that it's the flags that are moving?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com