POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web page construction : Re: Web page construction Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web page construction
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 15 Sep 2010 04:03:32
Message: <op.vi2d0ggcmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:22:43 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake thusly:

>>> Wouldn't that mean that the margin between the header and the real
>>> content would now be incorrect?
>>
>> Should still conform to line-height
>> <snip>
>
> I didn't think inline elements could have margins?

No it's just that the default is 0 for inline elements but some differ.

>>> Not sure you need to use ".indent"; why not just "li ul" or something?
>>
>> Because the first ul isn't indented and it allows you to create an extra
>> indent for a third level if needed without messing with child indicators
>> that IE doesn't understand.
>
> Ah. So the answer to "why not use child selectors" is simply "IE doesn't
> understand child selectors"? Oh I *so* don't give a damn. :-P

Ah well they do work for IE7 so ul>ul would have been neater.

>>> Anyway, absolute positioning seems to work fine, but for the minor
>>> detail that I need to figure out how wide the columns are supposed to
>>> be...
>>
>> I try to avoid absolute positioning when possible, just because it takes
>> things out of the flow. if I have to use it I ensure it's well-wrapped,
>> but even then there can be some glitches where the positioning relates
>> to the first parent that specifies a position rather than its container.
>
> Yeah, it looks like styling this correctly is going to be fun... Still,
> at this point, I'm still getting the page content to be generated
> correctly. Assuming I tag enough stuff, it should be possible to fiddle
> with the CSS later.

Well the benefit to the way I've done it is that it keeps the flow. That
is the third column will be positioned by default behind the second column
with no extra styling so you only need to set the sizes to indent+width
for everything to line up.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com