POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Amazon MP3 : Re: Amazon MP3 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amazon MP3
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 15 Jun 2010 09:29:15
Message: <op.vecfq9numn4jds@phils>
And lo On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:18:27 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>
>> You have to use their download app for buying albums, and possibly
>> multiple tracks in one go. It is lightweight sits in the system tray
>> and open and closes by itself, course whether it works on anything but
>> Windows is a different question.
>>  In Vista files go into an Amazon MP3 folder under Music and, depending
>> on the download manager settings, update the iTunes library too.
>> According to the properties they're 320kbps no DRM.
>
> Mmm, interesting.
>
> I can probably install the download manager in a VM to avoid screwing up
> my actual PC. Hopefully once I have the files I can then get rid of the
> VM. (I'm only planning on ever doing this once.)

Just checked the specs "Linux: Debian 5, Fedora 12, Open SUSE 11.2 and
Unbuntu 9.10". According to the unhelpful help page, you can download
music without it but "you must wait until the .mp3 file is downloaded
completely to your computer before buying another song". Albums require it.

> 320 kbit/sec is the maximum bitrate that the MP3 standard supports,
> AFAIK. Frankly, at that rate, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the
> difference between fully uncompressed audio.

4 minute track roughly 7Mb if that's any guide.

> Once I get the files, I can decode them back into PCM, put them on a CD
> and pretend that this whole sorry episode never happened. ;-)

I only really have them for the car and that plays MP3s natively which is
handy.

> (Since Amazone are giving me the credit for free, I thought I'd go
> download the album I *thought* I was buying the first time around...)

Pretty much what I did, yeah I got credit too a whole £2. So an individual
song is 79p that means buy two and 'waste' the credit or buy three and
spend extra; heh.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com