POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 4 Jun 2010 04:04:30
Message: <op.vdrndssdmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:19:15 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake thusly:

> Phil Cook v2 <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> From reviews some are disappointed they dropped the sandbox aspect for a
>> linear fixed storyline approach.
>
>   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was my first modern "sandbox-style" game
> I played, and it was a magnificent experience.
>
>   Unfortunately after playing with it for a month or so, I got actually
> immunized against the marvels of an open and realistic world, and
> afterwards
> any sandbox-style game has been outright boring. Thus it would be such a
> problem for me.
>
>   (I go to more detail here:
> http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/sandbox_games.html )

To my mind it's not that the sandbox gives you everything it's that your
actions seem to be inconsequential to the story or the world. They are, in
theory, open Final Fantasy games. "Oh no a giant meteor is about to hit
our planet and only you can save us by defeating the dark wizard who pulls
it closer, but first I'm having difficulty finding my sheep can you help?"
there's a level of disconnect there if you just plough through the story
you're either woefully underpowered or have a sense of unease that you've
missed out on everything the world can offer. Try to take advantage of the
'world' and as you say ennui sets in.

Okay I harp on about InFamous but it works. It's a small open world you
can just run around, but the side-quests matter; fix the satellite uplinks
and more people can contact you with jobs, sort out this problem and the
enemies won't venture into that area in such high numbers meaning you
don't have to run through then or stop to slug it out each time. It has an
effect so much so that one of the side-missions I tend to leave to last is
getting the El-Trains running; with them defunct you can use the railway
as a quick transit system, with them running you have to watch out you
don't get splattered by a train, on the plus side the trains move faster
if you can hitch a ride and they can also splat enemies on the tracks too.
All the side-missions connect to the main story and both affect the world
around you.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com