POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDTV resolution : Re: HDTV resolution Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDTV resolution
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 27 May 2010 17:44:29
Message: <op.vddv0bwr7bxctx@toad.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:12:00 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Finally got myself a HDTV, an entry level, 32 inches Sony Bravia.

KDL-32EX302? That is the only entry-level 32" Bravia I could find; the
other 32" models are all "Full-HD", i.e. 1080p. There might be other
models available where you live though.

>  Not FullHD, just up to 720p or 1080i, as the terminology goes.

It does not display 1080i either, it just accepts (and downscales) such
input signals. The 32EX302 accepts 1080p as well, but not on all inputs.

> here's my question:  is the 720p limit bogus?

No.

>  Actually, it's described in the specification of the TV as a

That is the actual resolution of the display panel, and thus the upper
limit of what the TV can display.

> Perhaps it's a limit in the mp4 decoder, not in the screen itself?

No, the limit is in the panel itself.

> I'm even unsure about this as the
> decoder seems to cope with 1080p videos just as well (probably
> downscaled).

Yes, downscaled.

> Fact is, the screen was pretty able to display pictures higher than the
> 768 limit without even filling up the whole screen -- and yes, I tried
> different "wide" size modes.  It has not seemingly "downscaled", they
> simply display just nicely in normal size mode, leaving plenty of empty
> space.

If the image is larger than 1366x768, it gets downscaled. You might not
notice any lack of detail, because the images you are looking at are not
very big to begin with, but they do get downscaled.

> So, have you guys had a similar experience with your TV's?  The spec
> sets some physical limit and yet you realize pictures seem to go well
> above?

The limit is indeed physical; it cannot be exceeded.

>  What do you think is the catch?  Perhaps despite the spec
> setting a 768 limit of vertical resolution, it should have more to
> display 1080i content?

Anything larger gets downscaled. There is no way around that.

--
FE