POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDTV resolution : Re: HDTV resolution Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDTV resolution
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 27 May 2010 19:24:33
Message: <op.vdd0m3if7bxctx@toad.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Fri, 28 May 2010 00:52:43 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> If they get downscaled why there still are plenty of empty pixels at the
> borders, both vertical and horizontal?

Because that is how the software/firmware chooses to display them. Why the
software was written that way I cannot say.

> I was about to agree with you that it's all downscaled because I thought
> perhaps it could be that normal display mode was actually trying to fit
> all pictures to 4:3 screen proportion.  But this doesn't follow, because
> pictures larger than 16:9 are not following this rule.
>
> It's also worth of note that pictures far smaller than the supposed
> physical limit seem to display in correct proportion in relation to the
> larger pictures.

Make no mistake; the large pictures *are* getting downscaled. It could be
that the software only supports scaling to certain predefined dimensions.
It could be that the software looks at all the images and chooses a fixed
scaling factor based on the dimensions of the largest one. It could be
that a wizard did it. It could be any number of things, but nothing the
software does can overcome the fact that the display panel only has
1366x768 pixels.

--
FE