POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad : Re: iPad Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 19 May 2010 04:58:46
Message: <op.vcx28lskmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Tue, 18 May 2010 12:50:58 +0100, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake thusly:

>>  The iPad is not being marketed as a laptop. Why are you expecting it
>> to be?
>
> I think the issue is that nowadays everyone expects anything the size of
> the iPad with a screen to support a number of standard features.  These
> include a USB socket for connection to external drives: memory sticks,
> card readers, cameras, printers etc.  TBH this was the first I heard
> that you cannot connect any standard external devices to the iPad, I
> would have assumed it had a USB socket.

It has the optional iPad Camera Connection Kit for only £25. That gives
you two dongles that plug into the Apple connector, one allows you to read
SD cards and the other gives you a USB A slot to connect a camera
directly. Note that firstly that's two connectors they didn't combine it
into just the one dongle; and secondly it doesn't tell you if the USB slot
is powered (judging by the questions and answers on the page the answer is
no it's not). Ah Apple so sleek and well designed ;-)

>  It does has WLAN and/or bluetooth right?

Yes

> Can't you just share folders from another device that way?  A bit
> inconvenient if you have a passive device like a memory stick or MP3
> player.

"Here" said John, "I've loaded all the presentation files onto this stick
for you to review"
"Ah" I said, "I've only brought my iPad with me. You couldn't email them
all to me could you"

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com