POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solar cooling? : Re: Solar cooling? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar cooling?
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 18 May 2010 07:13:50
Message: <op.vcwetnrrmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Mon, 17 May 2010 13:46:29 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake thusly:

> Aydan <hes### [at] hendrik-sachsenet> wrote:
>> When you put the glass over the candle, the air inside the glass will
>> be warmer
>> than the environment. When the candle has used up all the oxygen, the
>> air will
>> cool down and the inside pressure sinks, sucking in the water from the
>> outside.
>
>   Yeah. You wouldn't believe how convoluted explanations I have seen.

Just to act on the dumb side. If you use a graduated beaker with a candle
in it, add the water, and the second beaker, and then measure the water
height. Shouldn't the increase in temperature in the up-turned beaker
create a high-pressure that forces the water out from under it and thus an
increase in the water height as measured in the graduated beaker? So why
is the level of water forced out by the high-pressure less than the amount
'sucked' in by the low-pressure?

:-)

--
Phil Cook