POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 : Re: Photoshop CS5 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photoshop CS5
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 8 May 2010 16:21:56
Message: <op.vcelirlg7bxctx@toad.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Sat, 08 May 2010 20:59:00 +0200, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> Actually, I thought that patents explicitly did *not* cover use for
> research purposes, so either Wikipedia is wrong, the law changed since I
> learned it, or I'm misremembering. It would seem terribly
> counter-productive to let patents exclude research, given that the whole
> patent system is intended to promote research.

I tried looking it up, but it is just too much effort. The actual
legislative text (35 USC 271) says very little; most of the rules appear
to have been set by courts. Finding and digging through all the relevant
court rulings is a bit more effort than I am willing to put in for the
sake of curiosity.

I did find this little analysis on the experimental use exemption:
  http://www.nystar.state.ny.us/nl/nlassets/pdf/stlc1.pdf

A couple of somewhat relevant quotes from that article:

--
FE