POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting a "civilization-ending" volcano : Re: Fighting a "civilization-ending" volcano Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting a "civilization-ending" volcano
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 6 May 2010 11:55:31
Message: <op.vcajuwjemn4jds@phils>
And lo On Thu, 06 May 2010 02:45:25 +0100, gregjohn <pte### [at] yahoocom>
did spake thusly:

> I suppose that in some future epochs, there could be volcano eruptions
> that
> could do something like ground air travel over Europe not just for a
> month but a
> year or a century.
>
> Can humans do anything?

We can try to stop them erupting in the first place. Alleviate the
pressure building up rather than letting it pop, drill tunnels close to
the chamber and fit slow-release valves to channel the gases along them;
identify and take out the 'key log' blocking it off so it pours out rather
than explodes. All possible just costs a lot of money and often requires a
decent warning period to allow the work to be done.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com