POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 27 Apr 2010 09:32:52
Message: <op.vbto82d7mn4jds@phils>
And lo On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:54:42 +0200, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

> scott wrote:
>>> I know the BT Vision system is supposed to allow you to download video
>>> content to watch later, but I'm not aware of any system which can
>>> manage it in realtime. (Certainly not just using a normal PC...)
>>  Many TV company websites let you watch TV live via your PC at varying
>> levels of quality.  I have certainly seen a few that exceed digital SD
>> broadcast TV.
>
> Seriously??
>
>> How about BBC iPlayer, what's the quality like on that? (I can't access
>> it outside the UK)
>
> Pitiful. Utterly pitiful.
>
> I mean, forgetting the minor detail that it's plain unusuable at certain
> times of day, the picture quality is abysmal. (The sound isn't bad
> though.)

I use it via a wireless link on my PS3 and I agree that at certain times
it's quite choppy. Quality is worse than normal broadcast, but it's hardly
abysmal. For those outside the UK it's comparable to the 4OD channel at
youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/channel4 where the maximum seems to be
480p

--
Phil Cook