POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 : Re: Photoshop CS5 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photoshop CS5
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 4 May 2010 06:20:05
Message: <op.vb6ezqvbmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:02:50 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake thusly:

>>> £361.58 on buy.com.
>>
>> I thought it was a lot more than that. Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of the
>> whole "creative suite" rather than just Photoshop.
>
> That was the pricing on Creative Suite 4.  Photoshop on its own is less
> expensive - I figured you were thinking of the most expensive option, so
> that's what I looked for (the most expensive version of Photoshop I could
> find).

That's not the upgrade price is it? The UK price for the cheapest CS4 is
£620 on buy.com. Amazon are selling PS CS5 at £644.

>> Even so, this would still make it considerably more expensive than any
>> piece of software I've ever purchased in my life. (Although, when you
>> think about it, most *computers* cost more than this...)
>
> That they do, and they frequently come bundled with software.  You can
> get Photoshop Elements for fairly cheap - it even came bundled with my
> Wacom tablet.

Elements 6 came with my Vaio. Version 8 costs £60, they really don't want
you to upgrade though that costs £52 woo hoo £8 saving.

> That's frequently the case for users of Adobe Photoshop as well -
> especially CS:  The people who tend to use it are the pros, not the
> hobbiest user.

And that's part of the justification for the price tag. If you're using
this either the company has paid for it, or you're a professional who
needs it... or you're a student whom Adobe are trying to get hooked onto
their software for later gains. Like so much us proles have to wait until
the spanking new features trickle down to the affordable software ;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com