POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 18:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 3 Sep 2009 12:15:20
Message: <op.uzovfvuh7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:02:46 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Saying that v3.6 did it wrong is not very helpful for someone who is
> trying to render a 3.6 scene using POV-Ray 3.7.

One could argue that using "#version 3.6" should completely mimic the
behaviour of v.3.6, but that does not mean v3.7 should behave the same by
default.

>   What kind of color correction do I need when I'm rendering an image to
> be later used to generate a heightfield?
>
>   The answer is: None. When I specify a color of 0.5, I expect a value
> which is exactly half of the pixel component value range to be written
> to the image file so that when the image is later used to create a
> heightfield, that pixel will produce a height which is exactly half of
> the maximum height.
>
>   Having to "pre-correct" the value 0.5 in order to counter the gamma
> correction in order to get what I want is unfeasible and doesn't make
> too much sense. It's much more reasonable to be able to turn all gamma
> corrections off.

The whole point of using a gamma-aware image format is that you do not
need to counter the gamma correction; it is handled correctly by default.
The problems arise only when using gamma-unaware formats.

--
FE