POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 00:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 3 Sep 2009 10:12:36
Message: <op.uzoprbfs7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:36:49 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   I have demonstrated this phenomenon here:
>
> http://warp.povusers.org/povray_gamma_issue/index.html
>
>   The PNG basically ignores File_Gamma (as a net effect), while a TGA
> doesn't, and thus the latter matches the preview window.

When you specify a Display_Gamma that does not match the actual gamma
response of your monitor, you are effectively lying to POV-Ray.
Consequently, POV-Ray shows a preview with incorrect brightness.

When you specify a File_Gamma, you are telling POV-Ray to apply that gamma
curve to the image data it produces on file. When you output to a
gamma-aware format like PNG the gamma value is recorded in the file so
other programs will know what gamma curve to apply in order to make the
image look right on a given display. Many modern image viewers perform
this gamma correction. When you output to a gamma-unaware format like TGA
there is no way to record the gamma value in the file. It is therefore up
to the user to remember the gamma value and apply gamma correction as
necessary. If you do not want to have to perform this gamma correction
yourself, you should use a File_Gamma that matches the gamma of the
intended output display.

What you seem to want is to use colour values that look a certain way in a
gamma-2.2 environment and have them look the same in the output *and* have
the same numerical value in the output as they did on input. To the extent
that I understand these things, the correct way is to alter the colour
values on input, because POV-Ray expects linear colours on input. This is
handled automatically for input images in PNG-format if they have a
correctly set gAMA chunk, but other inputs must be corrected "by hand".

--
FE