POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nikon D90 : Re: Nikon D90 Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nikon D90
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 29 Jun 2009 15:04:50
Message: <op.uwavab2e7bxctx@e6600>
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:39:33 +0200, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>> The main drawbacks of not having a mirror are that you cannot have a
>> through-the-lens optical viewfinder or phase-detect autofocus.
>
> Sure. I'm just not sure what the benefit of an optical viewfinder is
> over an LCD viewfinder.

Resolution, colour fidelity, response time.

> The Sony seems to do a better job of autofocus, but then I've had years
> to play with it and learn its quirks, so maybe phase-detect is a better
> method.

Phase-detect is generally faster, often much faster. Contrast-detect
autofocus, if implemented well, can be more accurate.
Also, contrast detect AF requires having the sensor powered up.

> I didn't find the circular polarizer to have any noticable effect on my
> photos, tho.

If you are aiming for the "deep-blue sky" look, you will want to point the

turn the polariser to match.

If you just want to see the polariser in action, look at an LCD through it
while slowly turning it.

--
FE