POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 1 Jun 2009 16:46:49
Message: <op.uuu5cbi27bxctx@e6600>
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:07:26 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I have a secondary 180GB FAT32 partition

That would be the biggest problem right there. FAT32 is really horrible on
partitions that large.

> Last time I defragmented this partition was something like 3 years ago

That would be problem number two.

If you absolutely must use FAT32 (compatibility with other operating
systems being the only plausible reason), the fastest way to defrag is to
simply copy everything to another partition (or a spare drive), reformat,
and then copy everything back.

--
FE