POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 4 Jun 2009 16:48:07
Message: <op.uu0pegxw7bxctx@e6600>
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:33:21 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   My C drive looks like this, without that big file and without the
> Windows  page file:
>
> http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/c-drive.png
>
>   I can't understand what those small files are. They are not marked as
> unmovable nor anything special. They just are there, and no defragmenter
> is moving them.

Try analysing the drive with MyDefrag (http://www.mydefrag.com). It will
show you what file occupies any given part of the disk.

>   (The master file table certainly takes a humongous amount of space.
> Is that really normal?)

The size of the MFT will of course depend on the amount of files on the
drive, but can easily be 100 MB or more.

Also, keep in mind that Windows will by default reserve up to an eighth of
the drive for the MFT to grow into. Not all defraggers distinguish between
the two parts.

--
FE