POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : President Obama : Re: President Obama Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: President Obama
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 23 Jan 2009 04:41:30
Message: <op.un7ejaohmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:39:23 -0000, Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
<jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> did spake thusly:

> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>>
>> I've also heard (without substantiation on my part) that this is the
>> first
>> election where more than half the eligible general population actually
>> cast a vote for the winner. So that's something.
>>

> Voter turnout in the US, even when relatively very high, is still fairly
> low.  http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html
>
> When George Bush (not W) was elected, he won a majority of the popular
> vote
> (meaning more than 50%).  I don't think that happened again until Obama's
> election, as very close elections and 3rd party candidates got in the
> way.

2004 was 51.0%/48.1%/0.9% with a turnout of 55.3% hence all the talk about
Dubya receiving a 'mandate' from the people.

30% of the eligible voting population voted for Obama, Dubya got 26% in
2004 and Bush Sr. got 27% in 1988

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com