POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 21 Jan 2009 06:23:14
Message: <op.un3twjzpmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 02:19:11 -0000, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailcom> did spake thusly:

> scott wrote:
>> Actually on BBC channels there are no adverts at all, apart from
>> trailers
>> for other BBC programs and services.  These usually come in the form of
>> 1-3 short trailers *between* each program, never during a program.
>
> Whoa, I wish TV was like that here.
>
> The History Channel breaks every 10 minutes in the middle of the
> programs,
> sometimes advertising products but mostly advertising other programs in
> the
> same channel. And that's cable TV, paying for it. What the hell?

'Ah but if there were no adverts the amount you'd be paying would have to
increase' Actually come to think about it go and buy a newspaper and count
how many adverts it contains.

Just for comparision's sake on digital Freeview we get BBC1, 2 all say 3,
& 4  plus CBBC and CBeebies from 7-7 (alternating slots) as well as BBC
News 24, BBC Parliament, and a couple of extra slots for special stuff
like news headlines or sport; not to mention the radio broadcasts.
Commercial channels are ITV1, 2, 3, 4; Channel 4, Film4, More4; Five,
FiveUS; Sky3, Sky News; UKTV History; plus a whole heap of others I don't
bother with and this costs £139.50 per year per household.

Watching imported American shows on the BBC it is interesting to see all
the scene shifts and dramatic moments where a broadcaster can stuff in a
set of adverts. More fun on Channel 4 (a commercial channel) who are
currently showing The Simpsons (in some bizzare loop that can't break past
15) who can't even do this correctly  - 'But that means; d...' ad break
'...oh', black, scene change.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com