POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 19 Jan 2009 12:24:58
Message: <op.un0lb0pwmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:35:04 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

> scott wrote:
>>> I hadn't realised that this could very by channel. I assumed there was
>>> just a standard that says "Digital TV = MPEG2 at X Mbit/sec". I'll
>>> have to investigate. Hmm, I wonder what a DVD looks like?
>>  No, there is certainly scope for different bit-rates on different
>> channels.
>
> Eeeps! So it's completely possible for the fancy new "digital channels"
> to have far lower quality than the old analogue ones? o_O

Yup the big five seem to have a decent quality then it slides down the
scale as you change muxes.

> Digital works better than analogue right up to the point where the
> signal gets completely drowned in noise. After that it fails pretty
> spectacularly.

Do you remember when they were first pushing it "You either get a signal
or you don't"; heh. As Scott said though things will get better once they
ditch analogue and turn the power up

> Hmm, I wonder... My gandparents live in an area where the analogue
> reception is little more than coloured snow. You can kind of tell when
> you see a person's head, because there's a large area of pinky snow. But
> it's very hard to watch. And every time a bus goes past on the main
> road, the picture vanishes for a second or two. I wonder if digital
> would work any better? ;-)

Should look at Freesat I know Panasonic have a couple TVs with built-in
Freesat tuners out now and Humax have a Freesat twin-tuner PVR if
you've/they've already got an HDMI input TV.

> I wasn't aware that anybody actually broadcasts in HD at all yet. I was
> under the impression that you need to buy a £2,000 BluRay player to get
> any millage out of an HD TV. (Yet. I'm sure it'll change over time...)

As already mentioned a lot's been filmed just not necessarily broadcast.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com