POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 3 Dec 2008 12:17:37
Message: <op.ulljn013mn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:51:56 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

>>> Probably not many. No way of knowing *who* though. :-P
>>  Police shut down paedo/jihad site, find logs, check referrers and ask
>> Google and ISPs to provide matching information. I'm not talking in
>> theory, it's been done.
>
> OK, so if the police shut down the brownie's website, they might be able
> to figure out what I visited it. But they're not going to, are they?
>
> I'm sure if a sufficiently resourceful government organisation wants to
> find out who's using a given IP address, they can find out. What I'm
> saying is that the brownies themselves can't passively obtain this
> information just because I visit their site.

No, but they could spot that a certain IP (some ISPs like to fix your
number) visits quite regularly and spends a lot of time on the galleries
and contact the police about it. Not saying anything would be done about
it, but in this current climate it wouldn't surprise me at all.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com