POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 3 Dec 2008 11:43:13
Message: <op.ullh2jwumn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:13:55 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

>>> ...because every minute of every hour, hundreds of thousands of people
>>> connect to a given ISP and get assigned new IP addresses purely at
>>> random?
>>  IPs are not given out at random.  Each ISP has a range that they are
>> allowed to assign. The IP address can be tracked back to the ISP.
>
> Yes, I'm well aware of that. I meant they're assigned at random from the
> pool of addresses belonging to that ISP.

That wouldn't make financial sense. LIFO means that if I've bought a batch
of 100 numbers to use I can see I've never gone above address 50; so I can
return or sell on say 25 to someone else. Think about buying every member
of your 100-strong staff a licence for Software X, they all use it but
you've only a maximum of 10 doing so at one time.

>> From there, depending what records the ISP keeps, they can probably
>> tell what username was usign that IP at that time.
>
> This is the part that I doubt.

I'd echo Gail, but you've already answered her. To posit a non-national
security/by law suggestion - Data Mining; especially if you haven't ticked
that no third-party box. Been looking up recipies for avocados expect an
email from the National Association of Avocardo Growers about local
producers ;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com