POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:11:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 3 Dec 2008 09:58:06
Message: <op.ullc7eaqmn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:40:37 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>
>> Our records show this IP address registered to a single male and as
>> such your visit here has been logged and may be used against you in a
>> court of law you pervert! Expect a knock on the door from the police
>> within the minute.
>>   Worrying that I'm only semi-joking.
>
> Yeah. Because no single male would be the father of a girl who happens
> to be a brownie. No, sir! ;-)
>
> (Mercifully, it's virtually impossible to determine who an IP address
> belongs to...)

Why would that be? Your ISP knows who's connecting to them and what IP
address has been assigned to them. If the company keeps its own logs then
it's simply a matter of matching up times. Come the official police state
and we'll all have fixed IP addresses tied to our ID cards and it'll be a
criminal offence to use a different one.

On an even easier note if you've signed up to Google (or don't clear your
cookies) and did the search there then they at least know exactly who you
are and what you like to search for; all it'll take is a court order and
voila.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com