POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 3 Dec 2008 09:22:03
Message: <op.ullbi0b0mn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:34:04 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

>>> You'll notice I purchased it from John Lewis. In other words, if there
>>> *is* a problem, I'll actually _get_ some ****ing _SERVICE_. ;-)
>>  Indeed certain stores of a certain group don't have the best in
>> after-care service. It may cost a little more now, but it can often
>> make the difference.
>
> Indeed. I bought a large LCD computer monitor from John Lewis. After
> about 8 months, the backlight quit working. IIRC, it took something like
> a week for them to deliver a brand new replacement monitor and take the
> old one away. Which isn't bad really, eh?

Not bad.

> Also nice is the fact that their staff generally *have* a clue...
> although there's not what I'd call "experts", they at least have some
> idea what they're talking about.
>
> The only problem is that they don't sell a huge range of stuff. (Or at
> least, stuff I'd want to buy.) Having just said that, last week they
> sold me a Tilby and some rather fetching gloves...

Tilby? Hmm I'm trying to picture you in a trilby.

>> Obviously on commission :-P
>
> Clearly. ;-)
>
> On the other hand... don't you just hate it when you go somewhere and
> you're all like "yes, I'd like to buy this £2,000 item here please" and
> they're all like "meh, I can't be bothered, go away". (!!)

Nah never had that... oh wait ;-)

>>> And it only cost, like, £2 for the gift wrap. (YOU try wrapping
>>> something this big! It's not easy... They did a far better job than I
>>> ever could. Even if the wrapping paper *was* lame.)
>>  Actually I'm not bad at wrapping various shapes up having had large
>> amounts of practice when young, sometimes it can be fun as in when I
>> wrapped up a round tin in two sheets of paper (simple silver foil and a
>> translucent gold) to make it look like a giant toffee.
>
> See, now I *suck* at wrapping things. I seem to have scisors that are
> too blunt to cut the paper,

And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:07:40 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom>
did spake thusly:

> Ha! You need a Swiss Army Knife for Christmas ;)

Leatherman; let the fight begin :-)

> and a reel of tape that's wider in the center than at the edges, so the
> tape always curls when you pull it off.

Que?

> Plus the scisors won't get the tape either.

Wow how blunt are these scissors? Sounds like you need a whetstone.

> One thing I *have* discovered though... paper weights aren't just pretty
> to look at. Those buggers are USEFUL too!! ;-)

Mugs are also useful... especially if you can get them to just put their
finger there for just a moment.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com