POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GRUB uglies : Re: GRUB uglies Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GRUB uglies
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 8 Nov 2008 06:09:10
Message: <op.ukarxkam7bxctx@e6600.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 05:42:35 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

> Now, at this point, I've been unable to get GRUB to do its thing.
>
> grub
>    device (hd0) /dev/sda
>    root (hd0,1)
>    setup (hd0)
>
> This leaves me with a system that when I boot it, just says "GRUB" or
> basically never gets anywhere close to the menu or booting.  Using "dd"
> to put the boot sector back (from a copy on the backup drive) before or
> after doesn't help either.

I think you may have to chroot into the Linux installation before setting
up GRUB if the installed version is not the same as the one on the CD.
GRUB will crap out if stage1 and stage2 are from different versions.

You did not show the contents of grub.conf, so we will just have to assume
it is correct.

It is not clear to me exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Do you
want GRUB to chain-load Vista, or do you want the Vista loader to
chain-load GRUB?

--
FE