POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GRUB uglies : Re: GRUB uglies Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:51:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GRUB uglies
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 8 Nov 2008 12:15:27
Message: <op.uka8v0qw7bxctx@e6600.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:45:16 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>> I think you may have to chroot into the Linux installation before
>> setting up GRUB if the installed version is not the same as the one on
>> the CD. GRUB will crap out if stage1 and stage2 are from different
>> versions.
>
> Hmmm. Fair enough. But I didn't do any updates on at least some of the
> tests, so I'm assuming the two versions were the same.

The version that gets installed from the CD might not be the same as the
one installed *on* the CD.

> I want Vista to chain-load GRUB. (More precisely, I want Vista to chain
> load Linux, but LILO wasn't happy either.)

Personally I use grub4dos for that. That way, I do not need to change
anything on the Windows side when I update GRUB on the Linux side. Not
sure how well it works with Vista though; setting it up on XP is trivial.

Also, should you not be doing "setup (hd0,1)" if you want to chain-load
 from the Vista boot-loader?

--
FE