POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thoughts on Spore? : Re: Thoughts on Spore? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thoughts on Spore?
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 5 Nov 2008 14:06:25
Message: <op.uj5t0zii7bxctx@e6600.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:35:47 +0100, Mike the Elder <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm just bored enough to think about dropping fifty bucks on the MAC/PC
> version
> of Spore(The "Make-A-Creature" game)and thought I'd solicit some feedback
> first.  Does the game offer any real opportunities for creativity and/or
> interesting problem solving or am I destined to be disappointed one more
> time
> by another "no-brainer" surrounded by a lot of hype and pretty pictures?

Personally, I was disappointed.

A few points to be aware of (in my opinion):

Despite what Will Wright may have led you to believe, Spore is not about
evolution. With every new generation of your creature, you can completely
redesign it in every way.

Your choices in any particular stage of the game has negligible impact on
later stages.

95% of the game is the final stage (Space stage). The other stages (Cell,
Creature, Tribal & Civilisation) are pretty much just mini-games you play
while waiting for the real game to start. In the Space stage you basically
fly around the galaxy doing missions, trading & fighting.

For me, the game got repetitive real fast.

Phone-home activation DRM.

--
FE