POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Phil Cook
Date: 24 Sep 2008 09:23:46
Message: <op.uhzl50xqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:33:21 +0100, Stephen <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com>
did spake, saying:

> "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>> > To keep things in perspective, the total annual funding for
>> > cancer research in USA for the four most common cancers is around a
>> > billion dollars.
>>
>> What a waste, it would save far more lives if spent intelligently in
>> poorer countries.
>
> But then the spivs and speculators would not benefit. Have some sense of
> what is important and to whom. ;)

Exactly. What are you going to get out of the poor countries - nothing,
just a thank you very much and a step closer to world peace. Much better
off ploughing money into things rich people want like cancer cures, laser
eye surgery, and breast implants that feel just like the real thing;
besides some of these benefits are bound to trickle down to the level
where the poor people can afford them too.

[how my mind connects] How long did it take manufacturers to start
producing flesh-coloured sticking plasters that weren't just for white
people?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com