POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Phil Cook
Date: 12 Sep 2008 09:35:35
Message: <op.uhdeq50gc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:16:07 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> Haskell is a small, simple, logical language. C++ is a huge, messy,
>>> complex language. I don't see how learning an easy language should
>>> enable me to learn a hard language.
>>  Heh, Haskell looks complicated and hard to learn to me.
>
> Well, I guess there are probably people who look at something like
>
>    x = (-b +- Sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)/2a
>
> and go "OH MY GOD! That looks SO complicated!" But actually, if you know
> a little algebra, you discover that this contraption is actually quite
> straight forward.

But look at the knowledge you need for that. We'll assume that the basics
are covered = + - x ÷ and that you recognise the x, a, b, and c parts of
the equation. First up we get - how can you start with a - symbol, what am
I subtracting b from? Next is a ±; okay you hopefully recognise that it's
a + and a - combined, but how do I add and subtract at the same time? Then
we get a √ um okay the shape of that gives no clue unless you just know
it. Then ² which we might know as shorthand for b x b as many times as the
number. Then we get an 4ac, is that a new character; you know a-z, aa-az,
etc? You have to know that it's shorthand for 4 x a x c. Then finally you
get a / or just one big line which you need to recognise as a ÷.

Spell out all the assumed shorthand plus symbols there and you can see why
it could legitimately be considered complicated.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com