POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All shopped out : Re: All shopped out Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All shopped out
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Sep 2008 09:20:31
Message: <op.ug7txznoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:42:25 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:27:11 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Yesterday, my mother decided that sitting at home watching TV was
>>> making her back hurt too much, so we should all go out shopping
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> (Does that logic make ANY SENSE to anybody here? Cos it makes no sense
>>> at all to me!)
>>>
>>> Suffice it to say, mum spent all day complaining about how all the
>>> walking was making her back hurt. And making me spend my money.
>>  Yes perfect logic.
>
> Sure it is - if you happen to be a WOMAN! :-P

Purely the same logic that applies to a man who supports a non-local
football team because that's the team his father supported. ;-)

>>> This is where things became expensive. £55 for a pair of Sketchers,
>>> and another £25 for some other things. Total bill £125. Ouch.
>>  Again this is about what I pay for a pair of shoes.
>
> Hmm. Well usually a pair of shoes costs me about £20. ;-)

I think the last time I bought a pair of shoes for that price I was still
in high school and it was rather pointless buying anything better.

> (Well... except for that one time in ASDA where I put on a pair of shoes
> and they fitted exactly, so I bought them. Those were £15.)

And hey even if they don't last even a couple of years it's only cost you
£15. Sometimes though you get what you pay for, something I've tried to
force into the brains of my parents "Hey", says my father. "Why buy this
item that does everything you want when you can buy this item that nearly
does everything you want for less money" Umm because I want it to do
everything I want it to and the cost differential isn't worth the hassle
of not being able to do that.

>> Last time at S&M I picked up a couple of pairs of trousers for £15
>> apiece and a jacket for £30ish and that's about right for something
>> vaguely decent. My last trip to Merry Hell, to run in my shiny new car,
>> I spent about £200 which is a typical amount. Then again I needed some
>> new bedsheets and only had a choice of S&M and Debentarts 18 frickin'
>> quid for a piece of cloth oh sure it's a cotton-rich, high thread piece
>> of cloth as woven by the lost priests of Atlantis, but sheesh.
>
> Dude, you're such a funny guy...

It's not funny when you consider TJ Hughes does a quilt, sheet, and two
pillowcase covers for £9 *for the lot* heck that's cheaper then two
pillowcase covers from the others. Then again the Debentarts ones were
roight purty.

>> Ah you know what they say, you've got to spend money to make money...
>> unless you're a stockbroker or banker in which case you've got to spend
>> other people's money to make yourself money ;-)
>
> "The best way to make a small fortune in Formula One is to start out
> with a large one."

Heh, didn't that used to be the motto for airlines too.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com